There is a range of e-books & Journals available that will help you with your job-hunting, applications and interviews.
The following titles have each been evaluated by Careers Advisers from Careers and Employability at the University of Salford to ensure that the material is relevant to your needs.
The following topics are covered:
- Careers Uncovered, edited by Guardian Careers - This book covers how to make career changes and career choices, creating a CV tailord to your industry and what to do and what not to do in interviews.
- Graduate Careers Guide 2016 - Identifying careers, using social media for job hunting, other job hunting and application help.
- Be Prepared!: Getting Ready for Job Interviews by Julie-Ann Amos - Takes you through the essentials of preparing for an interview; contains top tips so you can tip the scales in your favour, with a little work beforehand.
- Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Interview by Marc A. Dorio - Although American in slant, it still contains some useful guidelines. Aims at making the interview as an opportunity rather than an obstacle, a positive event instead of a reason for terror by taking the mystery out of the interview by showing you how to "read" the employer's needs.
- Rob Yeung's Insider Guide to Successful Interviews by Rob Yeung - Yeung is a London-based Business Psychologist so he utilises a sound knowledge base. Information on competency based questions and succeeding at assessment centres are particularly useful. Easy to navigate, and strongly recommended.
- Succeeding at Interviews by Judith Verity - UK produced text. Some of the text overlaps with the book by Rob Yeung, but other material complements it-especially the sections psychometric testing, aptitude testing, and job simulation exercises. Although the criteria-based interviewing section is complex, it still contains useful information. A very good text and strongly recommended.
- Passing psychometric tests: know what to expect and get the job you want by Andrea Shavick - Gives you information about the type of job (and the level) for which each test would be used, and tips on how to improve your performance with each category of test.
- How to master psychometric tests by Mark Parkinson - Gives an overview of different types of tests and gives tips on preparing for tests as well as giving an opportunity to practise.
- Opportunities in film careers by Jan Bone and Ana Fernandez - Although American in slant, this is still helpful for those who may want to explore working in the mainstream US or Canadian Film Industry. A useful compliment to the annual BFI Film & TV Guide which Careers and Employability has in stock as reference-only items.
- Careers With the Pharmaceutical Industry edited by Peter D. Stonier - Very useful and comprehensive text outlining whole range of careers with the UK Pharmaceutical Industry. In addition to information on the more obvious clinical research, it also covers career information for nurses about working in the industry, pharmacologists, medical writers, regulators and lawyers who are interested in a specialism in pharmaceutical law. A recommended text.
- The magazines handbook by Jenny McKay - A good section on how to get into the magazine industry but of general use to anyone interested in journalism. A fascinating read.
- Inside the music business by Tony Barrow and Julian Newby - Provides a solid insight into the music business with UK and US examples.
- Researching for television and radio by Adèle Emm - An excellent item. Explains the topic in an easy to read style. A must for the would be researcher, with an especially good chapter on music research.
- Making it in public relations: an insider's guide to career opportunities by Leonard Mogel - Although American in slant, still provides good background to this industry.
- Working in the voluntary sector: how to find rewarding and fulfilling work in charities and voluntary organisations by Craig Brown - A useful overview of this sector with key contacts for different aspects of work in the voluntary sector.
- Journal of Building Survey, Appraisal & Valuation
- Journal of Urban Regeneration & Renewal
- Corporate Real Estate Journal
- Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions
- Journal of Business Continuity & Emergency Planning
Updated 28th March 2017 (HB)