International Students: Part-Time Work
Right to Work
Most International Students can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacations. However, it is crucial that you confirm your permission to work before starting a job. You can do this by:
- Checking the wording on your Passport or ID card
- The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide a factsheet and further help with checking your work status and what your visa can and can’t allow you to do.
- Contacting a University Advisor
There are many ways that you can find work whilst studying in the UK. The best routes are:
- Use our online job vacancy list. Register here
- Create an up to date and relevant CV and go in personally to companies. There are many bars, restaurants and retail outfits in Manchester that recruit students all year round. Places to start looking are: Manchester Arndale, Trafford Centre, also key areas such as Deansgate and Oxford Road in Manchester are very busy with bars and restaurants.
Tax and National Insurance Numbers
Everyone who wants to work in the UK MUST have a National Insurance Number (NIN). The NIN acts as an account number and makes sure that you pay the correct amount of tax and National Insurance contribution.
Please click on the following to find out more information about:
Applying for jobs
Information about studying in the UK
Information about work visas and extending your stay in the UK
Promotes and protects the needs of International Students in the UK