Ask us logo Ask us at the University of Salford

Working Whilst Studying

Right to Work

Most International Students can work up to 20 hours a week (Mon-Sun) during term time and full time during vacations. However, it is crucial that you confirm your permission to work before starting a job. You can do this by:

Tax and National Insurance Numbers

Everyone who wants to work in the UK MUST have a National Insurance Number (NIN). The NIN acts as an account number and makes sure that you pay the correct amount of tax and National Insurance contribution.

Please click on the following to find out more information about:

Applying for jobs:  Get Help with Applications.

Finding Work

There are many ways that you can find work whilst studying in the UK. The best routes are:

Useful Contacts

Education UK:   Information about studying in the UK

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI):  Information about work visas and extending your stay in the UK

UKCISA:  Promotes and protects the needs of International Students in the UK


Page Updated 24th May 2017 (HB)