Careers Resources for Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Students/Graduates
The following collection of websites have been collected together by Careers and Employability. These websites will give you further information, advice and key pointers for further action.
- Bar Lesbian and Gay Group - Membership and support organisation aiming to provide a support network for lesbians and gay men at the Bar. Members include students, pupils, squatters and tenants from all over the country including those in independent practice and at the employed bar.
- Corporate Equality Index - A useful downloadable document that charts the top 100 employers for gay people in Britain.
- Gay Business Association - The GBA aim to improve standards, share information and experiences and promote gay businesses in general. They aim to act almost as a “gay chamber of commerce”. They produce an online newsletter and users can search a database for members who they may feel may be able to help them with a particular issue.
- ILGA-Europe - ILGA-Europe is the European branch of the International Lesbian and Gay Association. They work for equality and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Europe. They are a non-governmental organisation. They produce several different types of booklet and handout, including “Going beyond the law” which is about promoting equality in employment. It has sections for employers and trade unions on how they can help their employees and promote equality.
- Mind.org - Mind.org is a general mental health website, but provides a lot of information for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people on issues they may face. They produced a web page that holds a lot of information including a big section on jargon and definitions. It also discusses the media, religion, education, the legal system and the age of consent, before moving on to rights for same-sex couples, young people, older people and black and minority ethnic communities, who may feel under even more strain due to “double oppression”.
- Regard - Regard is the National Organisation of Disabled Lesbians, Gay Men, Bisexuals and Transgender People. REGARD was founded in 1989 to address the absence of information and lack of understanding about the reality of disabled lesbians and gay men working within the disability movement.
- Stonewall - Stonewall is probably the most famous institution for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the UK. It is constantly producing new and up to date information on legislation and what can be done in the workplace, including most recently a handout called “Discrimination at work – It’s so over”. It also has a lot of information on exceptions to the law and when discrimination may not be illegal. They publish a booklet called Starting Out – Lesbian and Gay Recruitment Guide
- VERCIDA - VERCIDA stands for Values, Equality, Respect, Culture, Inclusion, Diversity, Accessibility. It is the UK's largest diversity careers site, currently working with over 100 organisations, both public and private, helping them to implement strategies to promote diversity and inclusion.
Updated 9th June 2017 (JC)