Careers Resources for Transsexual and Transgender Students/Graduates
- The Equalities Office - This unit produces a lot of up-to-date, valid information on Sex Discrimination. It has a specific guide on the Sex Discrimination (Gender Reassignment) Regulations of 1999, which includes information on the process of gender reassignment and the legal position of the UK. It also has information on the application of the regulations, and on how discrimination is defined. There is also a detailed section on exceptions for posts with a Single Sex Genuine Occupational Qualification.
- The Gender Trust - The Gender Trust is a charitable organisation that aims to help both the public in their understanding of issues concerning gender, and to help those undergoing gender reassignment with advice and information. They have a large introductory article to transsexuality available on the website, and discuss the UK’s legal position, and their is also information on surviving the “transition at work”. The site talks about who to disclose the information to, and in what format, as well as survival and stress management.
- LBBTQI at Salford - The University of Salford has two LGBT Societies, one for students and one for staff. Their contact details can be found at the end of the contacts list.
- Mind - a general mental health website, but provides a lot of information for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people on issues they may face. They produced a web page that holds a lot of information including a big section on jargon and definitions.
- Press for Change - a political lobbying and educational organisation, which campaigns to achieve equal civil rights and liberties for all transgender people in the United Kingdom, through legislation and social change. The website is packed with information on every aspect of gender dysphoria and other transgender issues, as well as helpful links on applying to the Gender Recognition Panel.
- Stonewall - Stonewall is probably the most famous institution for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the UK. It is constantly producing new and up to date information on legislation and what can be done in the workplace, including most recently a handout called “Discrimination at work – It’s so over”.
- TargetJobs Equality & Diversity - provides information on disclosing transexual and transgender status in the work place and employment law on this area. Also provides information and advice for researching & finding trans-positive employers.
- VERCIDA - VERCIDA stands for Values, Equality, Respect, Culture, Inclusion, Diversity, Accessibility. It is the UK's largest diversity careers site, currently working with over 100 organisations, both public and private, helping them to implement strategies to promote diversity and inclusion.
Updated 9th June 2017(JC)